- Leaving the area may be best for those with health conditions that put them at higher risk for illness.
- Go to a local public building with air conditioning such as a movie theater, mall or library.
- Seek a local clean air shelter.
- Seek shelter at a friend or relative's home away from smoke.
- If you must stay put:
- Stay as cool as possible and drink plenty of water.
- Set up an air purifier in a basement room, if possible. For a list of air purifiers see https://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoor/aircleaners/certified.htm.
If the air is smoky and hot, what can people do to protect their health when they do not have air conditioning/HVAC?
Have more questions? Submit a request